1. The string of a musical instrument.
2. Mus. A combination of tones simultaneously performed, producing more or less perfect harmony, as, the common chord.
3. Geom. A right line uniting the extremities of the arc of a circle or curve.
4. Anat. A cord. See Cord, n., 4.
5. Engin. The upper or lower part of a truss, usually horizontal, resisting compression or tension.
Accidental, Common, ∧ Vocal chords. See under Accidental, Common, and Vocal.
Chord of an arch. See Illust. of Arch.
Chord of curvature, a chord drawn from any point of a curve, in the circle of curvature for that point.
Scale of chords. See Scale.