1. One who begs; one who asks or entreats earnestly, or with humility; a petitioner.
2. One who makes it his business to ask alms.
3. One who is dependent upon others for support; -- a contemptuous or sarcastic use.
4. One who assumes in argument what he does not prove.
Beg·gar, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Beggared p. pr. & vb. n. Beggaring.]
1. To reduce to beggary; to impoverish; as, he had beggared himself.
2. To cause to seem very poor and inadequate.
It beggared all description. --Shak.
n : a pauper who lives by begging [syn: mendicant]
v 1: be beyond the resources of; "This beggars description!"
2: reduce to beggary [syn: pauperize, pauperise]