hoary /ˈhori, ˈhɔr-/
1. White or whitish. “The hoary willows.”
2. White or gray with age; hoar; as, hoary hairs.
Reverence the hoary head. --Dr. T. Dwight.
3. Hence, remote in time past; as, hoary antiquity.
4. Moldy; mossy; musty. [Obs.]
5. Zool. Of a pale silvery gray.
6. Bot. Covered with short, dense, grayish white hairs; canescent.
Hoary bat Zool., an American bat (Atalapha cinerea), having the hair yellowish, or brown, tipped with white.
adj 1: showing characteristics of age, especially having gray or
white hair; "whose beard with age is hoar"-Coleridge;
"nodded his hoary head" [syn: gray, grey, gray-haired,
grey-haired, gray-headed, grey-headed, grizzly,
2: ancient; "hoary jokes" [syn: rusty]
3: covered with fine whitish hairs or down [syn: canescent]
[also: hoariest, hoarier]