1. One who, or that which, plunges; a diver.
2. A long solid cylinder, used, instead of a piston or bucket, as a forcer in pumps.
3. One who bets heavily and recklessly on a race; a reckless speculator. [Cant]
4. Pottery A boiler in which clay is beaten by a wheel to a creamy consistence.
5. Gun. The firing pin of a breechloader.
Plunger bucket, a piston, without a valve, in a pump.
Plunger pole, the pump rod of a pumping engine.
Plunger pump, a pump, as for water, having a plunger, instead of a piston, to act upon the water. It may be single-acting or double-acting
n 1: someone who risks losses for the possibility of considerable
gains [syn: speculator]
2: someone who dives (into water) [syn: diver]
3: hand tool consisting of a stick with a rubber suction cup at
one end; used to clean clogged drains [syn: plumber's
4: mechanical device that has a plunging or thrusting motion