a·bor·tive /əˈbɔrtɪv/ 形容詞
發育不全的, 流產的, 墮胎的, 失敗的
a·bor·tive /əˈbɔrtɪv/ 名詞
1. Produced by abortion.as, an abortive child. [R.]
2. Made from the skin of a still-born animal; as, abortive vellum. [Obs.]
3. Rendering fruitless or ineffectual. [Obs.] “Plunged in that abortive gulf.”
4. Coming to naught; failing in its effect; miscarrying; fruitless; unsuccessful; as, an abortive attempt. “An abortive enterprise.”
5. Biol. Imperfectly formed or developed; rudimentary; sterile; as, an abortive organ, stamen, ovule, etc.
6. Med. (a) Causing abortion; as, abortive medicines. --Parr. (b) Cutting short the period of an illness; as, abortive treatment of typhoid fever.
1. That which is born or brought forth prematurely; an abortion. [Obs.]
2. A fruitless effort or issue. [Obs.]
3. Med. A medicine to which is attributed the property of causing abortion; -- also called an abortifacient.
adj : failing to accomplish an intended result; "an abortive
revolt"; "a stillborn plot to assassinate the
President" [syn: stillborn, unsuccessful]