Late a. [Compar. Later or latter superl. Latest or Last ]
1. Coming after the time when due, or after the usual or proper time; not early; slow; tardy; long delayed; as, a late spring.
2. Far advanced toward the end or close; as, a late hour of the day; a late period of life.
3. Existing or holding some position not long ago, but not now; recently deceased, departed, or gone out of office; as, the late bishop of London; the late administration.
4. Not long past; happening not long ago; recent; as, the late rains; we have received late intelligence.
5. Continuing or doing until an advanced hour of the night; as, late revels; a late watcher.
adj 1: up to the immediate present; most recent or most up-to-date;
"the news is up-to-the-minute"; "the very latest
scientific discoveries" [syn: up-to-the-minute]
2: in accord with the most fashionable ideas or style; "wears
only the latest style"; "the last thing in swimwear";
"knows the newest dances"; "cutting-edge technology"; "a
with-it boutique" [syn: last, newest, up-to-date, cutting-edge,