1. A man of any age who has not been married.
As merry and mellow an old bachelor as ever followed a hound. --W. Irving.
2. An unmarried woman. [Obs.]
3. A person who has taken the first or lowest degree in the liberal arts, or in some branch of science, at a college or university; as, a bachelor of arts.
4. A knight who had no standard of his own, but fought under the standard of another in the field; often, a young knight.
5. In the companies of London tradesmen, one not yet admitted to wear the livery; a junior member. [Obs.]
6. Zool. A kind of bass, an edible fresh-water fish (Pomoxys annularis) of the southern United States.
n 1: a man who has never been married [syn: unmarried man]
2: a knight of the lowest order; could display only a pennon
[syn: knight bachelor, bachelor-at-arms]
v : lead a bachelor's existence [syn: bach]