1. Zool. A small kind of whale, of the genus Globicephalus, of several species. The most common is Globicephalus melas. Also sometimes applied to other whales of larger size.
2. Zool. The tautog of New England (Tautoga).
3. Zool. The black sea bass (Centropristis atrarius) of the Atlantic coast. It is excellent food fish; -- locally called also black Harry.
4. Zool. A fish of southern Europe (Centrolophus pompilus) of the Mackerel family.
5. Zool. The female salmon in the spawning season.
Note: ☞ The name is locally applied to other fishes.
n 1: large dark-colored food fish of the Atlantic coast of North
America [syn: tautog, Tautoga onitis]
2: female salmon that has recently spawned
3: small dark-colored whale of the Atlantic coast of the United
States; the largest male acts as pilot or leader for the
school [syn: pilot whale, black whale, common
blackfish, Globicephala melaena]
[also: blackfishes (pl)]