1. Covered over; private; hid; secret; disguised.
How covert matters may be best disclosed. --Shak.
Whether of open war or covert guile. --Milton
2. Sheltered; not open or exposed; retired; protected; as, a covert nook.
Of either side the green, to plant a covert alley. --Bacon.
3. Law Under cover, authority or protection; as, a feme covert, a married woman who is considered as being under the protection and control of her husband.
Covert way, Fort. See Covered way, under Covered.
Syn: -- Hidden; secret; private; covered; disguised; insidious; concealed. See Hidden.
1. A place that covers and protects; a shelter; a defense.
A tabernacle . . . for a covert from storm. --Is. iv. 6.
The highwayman has darted from his covered by the wayside. --Prescott.
2. Zool. One of the special feathers covering the bases of the quills of the wings and tail of a bird. See Illust. of Bird.
adj 1: secret or hidden; not openly practiced or engaged in or
shown or avowed; "covert actions by the CIA"; "covert
funding for the rebels" [ant: overt]
2: of a wife; under the protection of her husband
n 1: a flock of coots
2: a covering that serves to conceal or shelter something;
"they crouched behind the screen"; "under cover of
darkness" [syn: screen, cover, concealment]