1. The crown of a king. [Obs.]
2. A wreath of chaplet made of branches, flowers, or feathers, and sometimes of precious stones, to be worn on the head like a crown; a coronal; a wreath.
3. The top; the thing most prized.
4. A book of extracts in prose or poetry; an anthology.
They [ballads] began to be collected into little miscellanies under the name of garlands. --Percy.
5. Naut. (a) A sort of netted bag used by sailors to keep provision in. (b) A grommet or ring of rope lashed to a spar for convenience in handling.
Gar·land v. t. [imp. & p. p. Garlanded; p. pr. & vb. n. Garlanding.] To deck with a garland.
n 1: United States singer and film actress (1922-1969) [syn: Judy
2: a city in northeastern Texas (suburb of Dallas)
3: an anthology of short literary pieces and poems and ballads
etc. [syn: florilegium, miscellany]
4: flower arrangement consisting of a circular band of foliage
or flowers for ornamental purposes [syn: wreath, coronal,
v : adorn with bands of flowers or leaves; "They garlanded the