1. Of honorable birth or origin; highborn. [Obs.]
The generous and gravest citizens. --Shak.
2. Exhibiting those qualities which are popularly reregarded as belonging to high birth; noble; honorable; magnanimous; spirited; courageous. “The generous critic.” --Pope. “His generous spouse.” --Pope. “A generous pack [of hounds].” --Addison.
3. Open-handed; free to give; not close or niggardly; munificent; as, a generous friend or father.
4. Characterized by generosity; abundant; overflowing; as, a generous table.
5. Full of spirit or strength; stimulating; exalting; as, generous wine.
Syn: -- Magnanimous; bountiful. See Liberal.
-- Gen*er*ous*ly, adv. -- Gen*er*ous*ness, n.
adv : in a generous manner; "he gave liberally to several
charities" [syn: liberally, munificently]