1. Of or pertaining to a year; returning every year; coming or happening once in the year; yearly.
The annual overflowing of the river [Nile]. --Ray.
2. Performed or accomplished in a year; reckoned by the year; as, the annual motion of the earth.
A thousand pound a year, annual support. --Shak.
2. Lasting or continuing only one year or one growing season; requiring to be renewed every year; as, an annual plant; annual tickets.
1. A thing happening or returning yearly; esp. a literary work published once a year.
2. Anything, especially a plant, that lasts but one year or season; an annual plant.
Oaths . . . in some sense almost annuals; . . . and I myself can remember about forty different sets. --Swift.
3. R. C. Ch. A Mass for a deceased person or for some special object, said daily for a year or on the anniversary day.
adj 1: occurring or payable every year; "an annual trip to Paris";
"yearly medical examinations"; "annual (or yearly)
income" [syn: yearly]
2: completing its life cycle within a year; "a border of annual
flowering plants" [syn: one-year] [ant: biennial, perennial]
n 1: a plant that completes its entire life cycle within the
space of a year
2: a reference book that is published regularly once every year