1. The hub of a wheel. See Hub.
2. The flat projection or iron shelf at the side of a fire grate, where things are put to be kept warm.
3. Mech. A threaded and fluted hardened steel cutter, resembling a tap, used in a lathe for forming the teeth of screw chasers, worm wheels, etc.
4. A peg, pin, or mark used as a target in some games, as an iron pin in quoits; also, a game in which such a target is used.
1. A fairy; a sprite; an elf. [Obs.]
From elves, hobs, and fairies, . . .
Defend us, good Heaven ! --Beau. & FL.
2. A countryman; a rustic; a clown. [Obs.]
Hob, n. Zool. The male ferret.
n 1: (folklore) a small grotesque supernatural creature that
makes trouble for human beings [syn: goblin, hobgoblin]
2: (folklore) fairies that are somewhat mischievous [syn: elf,
gremlin, pixie, pixy, brownie, imp]
3: a hard steel edge tool used to cut gears
4: a shelf beside an open fire where something can be kept warm
v : cut with a hob
[also: hobbing, hobbed]