or·di·nal /ˈɔrdnəl, ˈɔrdṇəl/
1. Indicating order or succession; as, the ordinal numbers, first, second, third, etc. Contrasted to cardinal.
2. Of or pertaining to an order.
1. A word or number denoting order or succession.
2. Ch. of Eng. The book of forms for making, ordaining, and consecrating bishops, priests, and deacons.
3. R. C. Ch. A book containing the rubrics of the Mass. [Written also ordinale.]
adj 1: of or relating to a taxonomic order; "family and ordinal
names of animals and plants"
2: being or denoting a numerical order in a series; "ordinal
numbers"; "held an ordinal rank of seventh" [ant: cardinal]
n : the number designating place in an ordered sequence [syn: ordinal