rage /ˈreʤ/ 名詞
1. Violent excitement; eager passion; extreme vehemence of desire, emotion, or suffering, mastering the will. “In great rage of pain.”
He appeased the rage of hunger with some scraps of broken meat. --Macaulay.
Convulsed with a rage of grief. --Hawthorne.
2. Especially, anger accompanied with raving; overmastering wrath; violent anger; fury.
torment, and loud lament, and furious rage. --Milton.
3. A violent or raging wind. [Obs.]
4. The subject of eager desire; that which is sought after, or prosecuted, with unreasonable or excessive passion; as, to be all the rage.
Syn: -- Anger; vehemence; excitement; passion; fury. See Anger.
Rage, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Raged p. pr. & vb. n. Raging ]
1. To be furious with anger; to be exasperated to fury; to be violently agitated with passion. “Whereat he inly raged.”
When one so great begins to rage, he is hunted
Even to falling. --Shak.
2. To be violent and tumultuous; to be violently driven or agitated; to act or move furiously; as, the raging sea or winds.
Why do the heathen rage? --Ps. ii. 1.
The madding wheels
Of brazen chariots raged; dire was the noise. --Milton.
3. To ravage; to prevail without restraint, or with destruction or fatal effect; as, the plague raged in Cairo.
4. To toy or act wantonly; to sport. [Obs.]
Syn: -- To storm; fret; chafe; fume.
Rage, v. t. To enrage. [Obs.]
n 1: a feeling of intense anger; "hell hath no fury like a woman
scorned"; "his face turned red with rage" [syn: fury,
2: a state of extreme anger; "she fell into a rage and refused
3: something that is desired intensely; "his rage for fame
destroyed him" [syn: passion]
4: violent state of the elements; "the sea hurled itself in
thundering rage against the rocks"
5: an interest followed with exaggerated zeal; "he always
follows the latest fads"; "it was all the rage that
season" [syn: fad, craze, furor, furore, cult]
v 1: behave violently, as if in state of a great anger [syn: ramp,
2: be violent; as of fires and storms
3: feel intense anger; "Rage against the dying of the light!"