Rec·og·nize v. t. [imp. & p. p. Recognized p. pr. & vb. n. Recognizing ] [Written also recognise.]
1. To know again; to perceive the identity of, with a person or thing previously known; to recover or recall knowledge of.
Speak, vassal; recognize thy sovereign queen. --Harte.
2. To avow knowledge of; to allow that one knows; to consent to admit, hold, or the like; to admit with a formal acknowledgment; as, to recognize an obligation; to recognize a consul.
3. To acknowledge acquaintance with, as by salutation, bowing, or the like.
4. To show appreciation of; as, to recognize services by a testimonial.
5. To review; to reexamine. [Obs.]
6. To reconnoiter. [Obs.]
Syn: -- To acknowledge; avow; confess; own; allow; concede. See Acknowledge.