1. The state of being free; exemption from the power and control of another; liberty; independence.
Made captive, yet deserving freedom more. --Milton.
2. Privileges; franchises; immunities.
Your charter and your caty's freedom. --Shak.
3. Exemption from necessity, in choise and action; as, the freedom of the will.
4. Ease; facility; as, he speaks or acts with freedom.
5. Frankness; openness; unreservedness.
I emboldened spake and freedom used. --Milton.
6. Improper familiarity; violation of the rules of decorum; license.
7. Generosity; liberality. [Obs.]
Freedom fine, a sum paid on entry to incorporations of trades.
Freedom of the city, the possession of the rights and privileges of a freeman of the city; formerly often, and now occasionally, conferred on one not a resident, as a mark of honorary distinction for public services.
Syn: -- See Liberty.