com·fort·able /ˈkʌm(p)(f)tə(r)bəl, ˈkʌm(p)fə(r)təbəl, ˈkʌmfə(r)bəl/
Com·fort·a·ble, n. A stuffed or quilted coverlet for a bed; a comforter; a comfort. [U. S.]
1. Strong; vigorous; valiant. [Obs.]
Thy conceit is nearer death than thy powers. For my sake be comfortable; hold death a while at the arm's end. --Shak.
2. Serviceable; helpful. [Obs.]
Be comfortable to my mother, your mistress, and make much of her. --Shak.
3. Affording or imparting comfort or consolation; able to comfort; cheering; as, a comfortable hope. “Kind words and comfortable.”
A comfortable provision made for their subsistence. --Dryden.
4. In a condition of comfort; having comforts; not suffering or anxious; hence, contented; cheerful; as, to lead a comfortable life.
My lord leans wondrously to discontent;
His comfortable temper has forsook him:
He is much out of health. --Shak.
5. Free, or comparatively free, from pain or distress; -- used of a sick person. [U. S.]
adj 1: providing or experiencing physical well-being or relief
(`comfy' is informal); "comfortable clothes";
"comfortable suburban houses"; "made himself
comfortable in an armchair"; "the antihistamine made
her feel more comfortable"; "are you comfortable?";
"feeling comfy now?" [syn: comfy] [ant: uncomfortable]
2: free from stress or conducive to mental ease; having or
affording peace of mind; "was settled in a comfortable
job, one for which he was well prepared"; "the comfortable
thought that nothing could go wrong"; "was comfortable in
his religious beliefs"; "she's a comfortable person to be
with"; "she felt comfortable with her fiance's parents"
3: more than adequate; "the home team had a comfortable lead"
4: sufficient to provide comfort; "a comfortable salary"
5: in fortunate circumstances financially; moderately rich;
"they were comfortable or even wealthy by some standards";
"easy living"; "a prosperous family"; "his family is
well-situated financially"; "well-to-do members of the
community" [syn: easy, prosperous, well-fixed, well-heeled,
well-off, well-situated, well-to-do]