1. Zool. A hart or stag three years old. [Written also spaid, spayade.]
2. A castrated man or beast.
1. An implement for digging or cutting the ground, consisting usually of an oblong and nearly rectangular blade of iron, with a handle like that of a shovel. “With spade and pickax armed.”
2. One of that suit of cards each of which bears one or more figures resembling a spade.
=\“Let spades be trumps!” she said.\= --Pope.
3. A cutting instrument used in flensing a whale.
Spade bayonet, a bayonet with a broad blade which may be used digging; -- called also trowel bayonet.
Spade handle Mach., the forked end of a connecting rod in which a pin is held at both ends. See Illust. of Knuckle joint, under Knuckle.
Spade v. t. [imp. & p. p. Spaded; p. pr. & vb. n. Spading.] To dig with a spade; to pare off the sward of, as land, with a spade.
n 1: a playing card in the major suit of spades
2: a sturdy hand shovel that can be pushed into the earth with
3: (ethnic slur) offensive name for a Black person; "only a
Black can call another Black a nigga" [syn: nigger, nigga,
coon, jigaboo, nigra]
v : dig (up) with a spade; "I spade compost into the flower