Stag, v. i. Com. To act as a “stag,” or irregular dealer in stocks. [Cant]
Stag, v. t. To watch; to dog, or keep track of. [Prov. Eng. or Slang]
1. Zool. (a) The adult male of the red deer (Cervus elaphus), a large European species closely related to the American elk, or wapiti. (b) The male of certain other species of large deer.
2. A colt, or filly; also, a romping girl. [Prov. Eng.]
3. A castrated bull; -- called also bull stag, and bull seg. See the Note under Ox.
4. Stock Exchange (a) An outside irregular dealer in stocks, who is not a member of the exchange. [Cant] (b) One who applies for the allotment of shares in new projects, with a view to sell immediately at a premium, and not to hold the stock. [Cant]
5. Zool. The European wren. [Prov. Eng.]
Stag beetle Zool., any one of numerous species of lamellicorn beetles belonging to Lucanus and allied genera, especially Lucanus cervus of Europe and Lucanus dama of the United States. The mandibles are large and branched, or forked, whence the name. The larva feeds on the rotten wood of dead trees. Called also horned bug, and horse beetle.
Stag dance, a dance by men only. [Slang, U.S.]
Stag hog Zool., the babiroussa.
Stag-horn coral Zool., any one of several species of large branching corals of the genus Madrepora, which somewhat resemble the antlers of the stag, especially Madrepora cervicornis, and Madrepora palmata, of Florida and the West Indies.
Stag-horn fern Bot., an Australian and West African fern (Platycerium alcicorne) having the large fronds branched like a stag's horns; also, any species of the same genus.
Stag-horn sumac Bot., a common American shrub (Rhus typhina) having densely velvety branchlets. See Sumac.
Stag party, a party consisting of men only. [Slang, U. S.]
Stag tick Zool., a parasitic dipterous insect of the family Hippoboscidae, which lives upon the stag and is usually wingless. The same species lives also upon the European grouse, but in that case has wings.
Steg n. Zool. A gander. [Written also stag.] [Prov. Eng.]
n 1: male red deer [syn: hart]
2: adult male deer
v 1: attend a dance or a party without a female companion
2: give away information about somebody; "He told on his
classmate who had cheated on the exam" [syn: denounce, tell
on, betray, give away, rat, grass, shit, shop,
3: watch, observe, or inquire secretly [syn: spy, snoop, sleuth]