1. The act of distributing or dispensing; the act of dividing or apportioning among several or many; apportionment; as, the distribution of an estate among heirs or children.
The phenomena of geological distribution are exactly analogous to those of geography. --A. R. Wallace.
2. Separation into parts or classes; arrangement of anything into parts; disposition; classification.
3. That which is distributed. “Our charitable distributions.”
4. Logic A resolving a whole into its parts.
5. Print. The sorting of types and placing them in their proper boxes in the cases.
6. Steam Engine The steps or operations by which steam is supplied to and withdrawn from the cylinder at each stroke of the piston; viz., admission, suppression or cutting off, release or exhaust, and compression of exhaust steam prior to the next admission.
Geographical distribution, the natural arrangements of animals and plants in particular regions or districts.
Syn: -- Apportionments; allotment; dispensation; disposal; dispersion; classification; arrangement.
Ge·o·graph·ic Ge·o·graph·ic·al a. Of or pertaining to geography.
Geographical distribution. See under Distribution.
Geographic latitude (of a place), the angle included between a line perpendicular or normal to the level surface of water at rest at the place, and the plane of the equator; differing slightly from the geocentric latitude by reason of the difference between the earth's figure and a true sphere.
Geographical mile. See under Mile.
Geographical variation, any variation of a species which is dependent on climate or other geographical conditions.