1. A bundle of sticks, twigs, or small branches of trees, used for fuel, for raising batteries, filling ditches, or other purposes in fortification; a fascine.
2. A bundle of pieces of wrought iron to be worked over into bars or other shapes by rolling or hammering at a welding heat; a pile.
3. Mus. A bassoon. See Fagotto.
4. A person hired to take the place of another at the muster of a company. [Eng.]
5. An old shriveled woman. [Slang, Eng.]
Fagot iron, iron, in bars or masses, manufactured from fagots.
Fagot vote, the vote of a person who has been constituted a voter by being made a landholder, for party purposes. [Political cant, Eng.]
Fag·ot v. t. [imp. & p. p. Fagoted; p. pr. & vb. n. Fagoting.] To make a fagot of; to bind together in a fagot or bundle; also, to collect promiscuously.
n 1: offensive terms for an openly homosexual man [syn: faggot,
fag, fairy, nance, pansy, queen, queer, poof,
2: a bundle of sticks and branches bound together [syn: faggot]
v 1: ornament or join (fabric) by faggot stitch; "He fagotted the
blouse for his wife" [syn: faggot]
2: fasten together rods of iron in order to heat or weld them
3: bind or tie up in or as if in a faggot; "faggot up the
sticks" [syn: faggot, faggot up]