mor·dant /ˈmɔrdṇt/ 名詞
1. Biting; caustic; sarcastic; keen; severe.
2. Dyeing & Calico Printing Serving to fix colors.
1. Any corroding substance used in etching.
2. Dyeing & Calico Printing Any substance, as alum or copperas, which, having a twofold attraction for organic fibers and coloring matter, serves as a bond of union, and thus gives fixity to, or bites in, the dyes.
3. Gilding Any sticky matter by which the gold leaf is made to adhere.
Mor·dant v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mordanted; p. pr. & vb. n. Mordanting.] To subject to the action of, or imbue with, a mordant; as, to mordant goods for dyeing.
adj : harshly ironic or sinister; "black humor"; "a grim joke";
"grim laughter"; "fun ranging from slapstick clowning
... to savage mordant wit" [syn: black, grim]
n : a substance used to treat leather or other materials before
dyeing; aids in dyeing process