腮須,鬍鬚,掃拂者,飛奔者 ; [化] 須晶;(金屬) 晶須
1. One who, or that which, whisks, or moves with a quick, sweeping motion.
2. Formerly, the hair of the upper lip; a mustache; -- usually in the plural.
Hoary whiskers and a forky beard. --Pope.
3. pl. That part of the beard which grows upon the sides of the face, or upon the chin, or upon both; as, side whiskers; chin whiskers.
4. A hair of the beard.
5. One of the long, projecting hairs growing at the sides of the mouth of a cat, or other animal.
6. pl. Naut. Iron rods extending on either side of the bowsprit, to spread, or guy out, the stays, etc.
n 1: a very small distance or space; "they escaped by a
hair's-breadth"; "they lost the election by a whisker"
[syn: hair's-breadth, hairsbreadth, hair]
2: a long stiff hair growing from the snout or brow of most
mammals as e.g. a cat [syn: vibrissa, sensory hair]
v : furnish with whiskers; "a whiskered jersey" [syn: bewhisker]