Ex·e·cute v. t. [imp. & p. p. Executed p. pr. & vb. n. Executing ]
1. To follow out or through to the end; to carry out into complete effect; to complete; to finish; to effect; to perform.
His hand to execute what his decree
Fixed on this day? --Milton.
2. To complete, as a legal instrument; to perform what is required to give validity to, as by signing and perhaps sealing and delivering; as, to execute a deed, lease, mortgage, will, etc.
3. To give effect to; to do what is provided or required by; to perform the requirements or stipulations of; as, to execute a decree, judgment, writ, or process.
4. To infect capital punishment on; to put to death in conformity to a legal sentence; as, to execute a traitor.
5. To put to death illegally; to kill. [Obs.]
6. Mus. To perform, as a piece of music or other feat of skill, whether on an instrument or with the voice, or in any other manner requiring physical activity; as, to execute a difficult part brilliantly; to execute a coup; to execute a double play.
Syn: -- To accomplish; effect; fulfill; achieve; consummate; finish; complete. See Accomplish.
Ex·e·cute, v. i.
1. To do one's work; to act one's part or purpose. [R.]
2. To perform musically.
v 1: kill as a means of socially sanctioned punishment; "In some
states, criminals are executed" [syn: put to death]
2: murder execution-style; "The Mafioso who collaborated with
the police was executed"
3: put in effect; "carry out a task"; "execute the decision of
the people"; "He actioned the operation" [syn: carry
through, accomplish, carry out, action, fulfill,
4: carry out the legalities of; "execute a will or a deed"
5: carry out a process or program, as on a computer or a
machine; "Run the dishwasher"; "run a new program on the
Mac"; "the computer executed the instruction" [syn: run]
6: carry out or perform an action; "John did the painting, the
weeding, and he cleaned out the gutters"; "the skater
executed a triple pirouette"; "she did a little dance"
[syn: perform, do]
7: sign in the presence of witnesses; "The President executed