技術評價處( 美國政府 ) OTA
電信辦公室( 美國政府 ) OT
1. The act of governing; the exercise of authority; the administration of laws; control; direction; regulation; as, civil, church, or family government.
2. The mode of governing; the system of polity in a state; the established form of law.
That free government which we have so dearly purchased, free commonwealth. --Milton.
3. The right or power of governing; authority.
I here resign my government to thee. --Shak.
4. The person or persons authorized to administer the laws; the ruling power; the administration.
When we, in England, speak of the government, we generally understand the ministers of the crown for the time being. --Mozley & W.
5. The body politic governed by one authority; a state; as, the governments of Europe.
6. Management of the limbs or body.
7. Gram. The influence of a word in regard to construction, requiring that another word should be in a particular case.
n 1: the organization that is the governing authority of a
political unit; "the government reduced taxes"; "the
matter was referred to higher authorities" [syn: authorities,
2: (government) the system or form by which a community or
other political unit is governed; "tyrannical government"
3: the act of governing; exercising authority; "regulations for
the governing of state prisons"; "he had considerable
experience of government" [syn: governing, governance,
4: the study of government of states and other political units
[syn: politics, political science]