1. Next after the second; coming after two others; -- the ordinal of three; as, the third hour in the day. “The third night.”
2. Constituting or being one of three equal parts into which anything is divided; as, the third part of a day.
Third estate. (a) In England, the commons, or the commonalty, who are represented in Parliament by the House of Commons. (b) In France, the tiers état. See Tiers état. Third order R. C. Ch., an order attached to a monastic order, and comprising men and women devoted to a rule of pious living, called the third rule, by a simple vow if they remain seculars, and by more solemn vows if they become regulars. See Tertiary, n., 1.
Third person Gram., the person spoken of. See Person, n., 7.
Third sound. Mus. See Third, n., 3.
1. The quotient of a unit divided by three; one of three equal parts into which anything is divided.
2. The sixtieth part of a second of time.
3. Mus. The third tone of the scale; the mediant.
4. pl. Law The third part of the estate of a deceased husband, which, by some local laws, the widow is entitled to enjoy during her life.
Major third Mus., an interval of two tones.
Minor third Mus., an interval of a tone and a half.
adj 1: coming next after the second and just before the fourth in
position [syn: 3rd, tertiary]
2: being one of three equal parts; "a third share of the money"
n 1: one of three equal parts of a divisible whole; "it contains
approximately a third of the minimum daily requirement"
[syn: one-third, tierce]
2: the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who
is stationed near 3rd base; "he is playing third" [syn: third
3: following the second position in an ordering or series; "a
distant third"; "he answered the first question willingly,
the second reluctantly, and the third with resentment"
4: the musical interval between one note and another three
notes away from it; "a simple harmony written in major
5: the third from the lowest forward ratio gear in the gear box
of a motor vehicle; "you shouldn't try to start in third
gear" [syn: third gear]
6: the base that must be touched third by a base runner in
baseball; "he was cut down on a close play at third" [syn:
adv : in the third place; "third we must consider unemployment"