1. A draught or form; properly, a representation drawn on a plane, as a map or a chart; especially, a top view, as of a machine, or the representation or delineation of a horizontal section of anything, as of a building; a graphic representation; a diagram.
2. A scheme devised; a method of action or procedure expressed or described in language; a project; as, the plan of a constitution; the plan of an expedition.
God's plans like lines pure and white unfold. --M. R. Smith.
3. A method; a way of procedure; a custom.
The simple plan,
That they should take who have the power,
And they should keep who can. --Wordsworth.
Body plan, Floor plan, etc. See under Body, Floor, etc.
Syn: -- Scheme; draught; delineation; plot; sketch; project; design; contrivance; device. See Scheme.
Plan, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Planned p. pr. & vb. n. Planning.]
1. To form a delineation of; to draught; to represent, as by a diagram.
2. To scheme; to devise; to contrive; to form in design; as, to plan the conquest of a country.
Even in penance, planning sins anew. --Goldsmith.
n 1: a series of steps to be carried out or goals to be
accomplished; "they drew up a six-step plan"; "they
discussed plans for a new bond issue" [syn: program, programme]
2: an arrangement scheme; "the awkward design of the keyboard
made operation difficult"; "it was an excellent design for
living"; "a plan for seating guests" [syn: design]
3: scale drawing of a structure; "the plans for City Hall were
on file" [syn: architectural plan]
v 1: have the will and intention to carry out some action; "He
plans to be in graduate school next year"; "The rebels
had planned turmoil and confusion" [syn: be after]
2: make plans for something; "He is planning a trip with his
3: make or work out a plan for; devise; "They contrived to
murder their boss"; "design a new sales strategy"; "plan
an attack" [syn: project, contrive, design]
4: make a design of; plan out in systematic, often graphic
form; "design a better mousetrap"; "plan the new wing of
the museum" [syn: design]
[also: planning, planned]