1. Lower in place, rank, value, excellence, etc.; less important or valuable; subordinate; underneath; beneath.
A thousand inferior and particular propositions. --I. Watts.
The body, or, as some love to call it, our inferior nature. --Burke.
Whether they are equal or inferior to my other poems, an author is the most improper judge. --Dryden.
2. Poor or mediocre; as, an inferior quality of goods.
3. Astron. (a) Nearer the sun than the earth is; as, the inferior or interior planets; an inferior conjunction of Mercury or Venus. (b) Below the horizon; as, the inferior part of a meridian.
4. Bot. (a) Situated below some other organ; -- said of a calyx when free from the ovary, and therefore below it, or of an ovary with an adherent and therefore inferior calyx. (b) On the side of a flower which is next the bract; anterior.
5. Min. Junior or subordinate in rank; as, an inferior officer.
Inferior court Law, a court subject to the jurisdiction of another court known as the superior court, or higher court.
Inferior letter, Inferior figure Print., a small letter or figure standing at the bottom of the line (opposed to superior letter or figure), as in A₂, Bₙ, 2 and n are inferior characters.
Inferior tide, the tide corresponding to the moon's transit of the meridian, when below the horizon.