1. Kingly; pertaining to the crown or the sovereign; suitable for a king or queen; regal; as, royal power or prerogative; royal domains; the royal family; royal state.
2. Noble; generous; magnificent; princely.
How doth that royal merchant, good Antonio? --Shak.
3. Under the patronage of royality; holding a charter granted by the sovereign; as, the Royal Academy of Arts; the Royal Society.
Battle royal. See under Battle.
Royal bay Bot., the classic laurel (Laurus nobilis.)
Royal eagle. Zool. See Golden eagle, under Golden.
Royal fern Bot., the handsome fern Osmunda regalis. See Osmund.
Royal mast Naut., the mast next above the topgallant mast and usually the highest on a square-rigged vessel. The royal yard and royal sail are attached to the royal mast.
Royal metal, an old name for gold.
Royal palm Bot., a magnificent West Indian palm tree (Oreodoxa regia), lately discovered also in Florida.
Royal pheasant. See Curassow.
Royal purple, an intense violet color, verging toward blue.
Royal tern Zool., a large, crested American tern (Sterna maxima).
Royal tiger. Zool. See Tiger.
Royal touch, the touching of a diseased person by the hand of a king, with the view of restoring to health; -- formerly extensively practiced, particularly for the scrofula, or king's evil.
Syn: -- Kingly; regal; monarchical; imperial; kinglike; princely; august; majestic; superb; splendid; illustrious; noble; magnanimous.
1. Printing and writing papers of particular sizes. See under paper, n.
2. Naut. A small sail immediately above the topgallant sail.
3. Zool. One of the upper or distal branches of an antler, as the third and fourth tynes of the antlers of a stag.
4. Gun. A small mortar.
5. Mil. One of the soldiers of the first regiment of foot of the British army, formerly called the Royals, and supposed to be the oldest regular corps in Europe; -- now called the Royal Scots.
6. An old English coin. See Rial.
7. Auction Bridge A royal spade.
adj 1: of or relating to or indicative of or issued or performed by
a king or queen or other monarch; "the royal party";
"the royal crest"; "by royal decree"; "a royal visit"
2: established or chartered or authorized by royalty; "the
3: being of the rank of a monarch; "of royal ancestry";
"princes of the blood royal"
4: belonging to or befitting a supreme ruler; "golden age of
imperial splendor"; "purple tyrant"; "regal attire";
"treated with royal acclaim"; "the royal carriage of a
stag's head" [syn: imperial, majestic, purple, regal]
5: invested with royal power as symbolized by a crown; "the
royal (or crowned) heads of Europe"
n 1: a sail set next above the topgallant on a royal mast
2: stag with antlers of 12 or more branches [syn: royal stag]