1. In a circle; circularly; on every side; round.
2. In a circuit; here and there within the surrounding space; all about; as, to travel around from town to town.
3. Near; in the neighborhood; as, this man was standing around when the fight took place. [Colloq. U. S.]
Note: ☞ See Round, the shorter form, adv. & prep., which, in some of the meanings, is more commonly used.
1. On all sides of; encircling; encompassing; so as to make the circuit of; about.
A lambent flame arose, which gently spread
Around his brows. --Dryden.
2. From one part to another of; at random through; about; on another side of; as, to travel around the country; a house standing around the corner. [Colloq. U. S.]
adv 1: in the area or vicinity; "a few spectators standing about";
"hanging around"; "waited around for the next flight"
2: by a circular or circuitous route; "He came all the way
around the base"; "the road goes around the pond"
3: to or among many different places or in no particular
direction; "wandering about with no place to go"; "people
were rushing about"; "news gets around (or about)";
"traveled around in Asia"; "he needs advice from someone
who's been around"; "she sleeps around" [syn: about]
4: in a circle or circular motion; "The wheels are spinning
5: (of quantities) imprecise but fairly close to correct;
"lasted approximately an hour"; "in just about a minute";
"he's about 30 years old"; "I've had about all I can
stand"; "we meet about once a month"; "some forty people
came"; "weighs around a hundred pounds"; "roughly $3,000";
"holds 3 gallons, more or less"; "20 or so people were at
the party" [syn: approximately, about, close to, just
about, some, roughly, more or less, or so]
6: in or to a reversed position or direction; "about face";
"brought the ship about"; "suddenly she turned around"
7: to a particular destination either specified or understood;
"she came around to see me"; "I invited them around for
8: all around or on all sides; "dirty clothes lying around (or
about)"; "let's look about for help"; "There were trees
growing all around"; "she looked around her" [syn: about]
9: in circumference; "the trunk is ten feet around"; "the pond
is two miles around"
10: from beginning to end; throughout; "It rains all year round
on Skye"; "frigid weather the year around" [syn: round]