spray /ˈspre/ 名詞
1. Water flying in small drops or particles, as by the force of wind, or the dashing of waves, or from a waterfall, and the like.
2. Med. (a) A jet of fine medicated vapor, used either as an application to a diseased part or to charge the air of a room with a disinfectant or a deodorizer. (b) An instrument for applying such a spray; an atomizer.
Spray condenser Steam Engine, an injection condenser in which the steam is condensed by a spray of water which mingles with it.
1. A small shoot or branch; a twig.
Syn: -- sprig.
The painted birds, companions of the spring,
Hopping from spray to spray, were heard to sing. --Dryden.
2. A collective body of small branches, or cut flowers with long stems; as, the tree has a beautiful spray; many sprays were sent in condolence to teh funeral home.
And from the trees did lop the needless spray. --Spenser.
3. Founding (a) A side channel or branch of the runner of a flask, made to distribute the metal in all parts of the mold. (b) A group of castings made in the same mold and connected by sprues formed in the runner and its branches.
Spray drain Agric., a drain made by laying under earth the sprays or small branches of trees, which keep passages open.
Spray, v. t.
1. To let fall in the form of spray. [Poetic]
2. To throw spray upon; to treat with a liquid in the form of spray; as, to spray a wound, or a surgical instrument, with carbolic acid.
n 1: a pesticide in suspension or solution; intended for spraying
2: a dispenser that turns a liquid (such as perfume) into a
fine spray [syn: atomizer, atomiser, sprayer]
3: a quantity of small objects flying through the air; "a spray
of bullets" [syn: spraying]
4: flower arrangement consisting of a single branch or shoot
bearing flowers and foliage
5: water in small drops in the atmosphere; blown from waves or
thrown up by a waterfall
6: a jet of vapor
v 1: be discharged in sprays of liquid; "Water sprayed all over
2: scatter in a mass or jet of droplets; "spray water on
someone"; "spray paint on the wall"
3: cover by spraying with a liquid; "spray the wall with paint"